too easily pleased

My favorite quote of all time is by C.S. Lewis:

"If we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."

As a child I was a dreamer. While other boys wanted to be astronauts and firemen and cops, I wanted to be a business owner and a missionary. Not just an owner of one business, but of a conglomeration of businesses. And not just a missionary to some third world country, but an individual through whom God could impact millions and millions of people. Sort of a Warren Buffett/Billy Graham hybrid. I've never really lost sight of those dreams, but I've definitely sidetracked myself. At times I've become too easily pleased with where I was at spiritually, job-wise, or otherwise. That's not to say I'm not grateful for the blessings God has given me, but I'm keenly aware that he doesn't want me to be too comfortable, too long. I want a holiday at the sea, and on my journey there, I plan on jotting some thoughts down here.

0 comments: