MLK Day, my unpaid holiday

Hooray, today is my last day of unemployment! I've had nearly 5 months of packing, moving, unpacking, adjusting to a new environment, looking feverishly for work, and waiting. Lots of waiting. And here on the eve of my 27th birthday, I wait some more. Tomorrow I have orientation at 9am at the main branch of the bank at which I'll be working, followed by 6 to 8 weeks of studying for securities license exams. While the next month and a half or so will be tedious, I welcome the task. This morning I'm going to press my work clothes and lay them out for the morning, complete some last-minute pre-employment paperwork and stuff it in my portfolio, and set the coffee maker to begin brewing at 7am tomorrow.

Weight today: 347.2. I'm glad I'm down slightly after this weekend. Friday night Erin and I went to the Maker's Mark Bourbon House and Lounge for a joint birthday celebration dinner and I had a 16 oz bone-in ribeye topped with béarnaise, some mashed potatoes, and country-style green beans with bourbon-glazed caramelized onions and bacon. I was pretty famished after burning 1200 calories on the golf course earlier in the day, but the meal was way more than I needed. It's ok to feast to celebrate your birthday, though, isn't it? Yesterday after church we took advantage of our free birthday burger coupons at Red Robin. I got a turkey burger, added some jalapenos for a little kick, and substituted the all-you-can-eat fries for a side salad. I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of flavor the turkey patty offered. Our server, however, made it quite apparent that he was not a fan of the birthday coupons. He grilled us about the legitimacy of the coupons, dropped off our bill for $2.53 before we were halfway finished with the meal, and asked on two different visits to our table if he could take our payment before we were ready. We left $4.53. Sorry we were so cheap, Red Robin server, but you were downright rude.

0 comments: